My Food Revolution

About Me

My photo
I'm Dee a 24 year old busy body living outside the misconceptions of life. I love meeting new people and learning new things about the planet in which we reside. I rant about the price of milk amongst shops and I get stressed out if my eclairs turn out as pancakes. I'm far from perfect but it won't stop me practising.

Sunday 24 April 2016

Sunday fun day!

Who doesn't love a good productive but relaxed Sunday? Today started off with a trip to the shops. To be honest it was fairly successful, I left my cash card at home and left with just a handful of coins worth £10.50. I set my self the challenge of getting as much useful items as possible. I didn't end up doing a big shop as I hoped instead got bits and bobs from where ever. My shopping clocked in at £8.17! For that I got 2 X 4Pints of milk, bag of frozen green beans, cooking oil, dozen eggs, potatoes and 6 onions! Bobby dazzler!

I got 3 large bell peppers from the local market also, chopped them up followed by the onions and managed to get 6 portions of each out of the 3 peppers and 6 onions. I cut and freeze them in portions to save having to use them within a small time frame.

Yesterday I bought a bottle of Volvic touch of fruit water, since changing my eating and drinking habits, water is all I want! Well not any more after today 😡. I was curious about the sugar content, so I loaded up the Sugar Smart app (if you don't have it, GET IT..NOW!) anyhoo the 'Volvic water' only contained 5.6 cubes of sugar!.. Seriously. -.-   They found a way to add sugar to water!! Well from now on its safe to say I'm keeping well away from bottled water and sticking to the tap!

Oooh I did however make DFC for tea, that's Dee's fried chicken! As per when it's made in my household it vanished...quickly!

I like to share my thoughts, luckily for you I'm gonna share with you my DFC recipe! Oooooh!



So to start off, as I cook just for two I used 1 fat chicken breast and cut it into strips. Grab a Jug and put roughly 500ml of blue milk, full fat, add a good slog of lemon juice, like enough to curdle the milk!

I apologise I'm terrible at measurements, I just work by eye! Don't start flapping about curdling milk, here, it's a great thing, trust me.. We're both still alive and well!

Get a decent sized good bag and fill it good and proper with some plain flour, add salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a good lobbing of chicken seasoning. (£1.00 roughly at Asda it's also on the world foods isle ;) )

Now remember the curdled milk? You have actually just made Buttermilk! (Basically left overs once milk is made I think) so buttermilk and baking powder are a magical pairing. Due to the acidity of the lemon juice in the milk, it will react with the baking powder and make your batter layer easy and stay really light! Also buttermilk helps keep the chicken moist and tender and in no way shape or form do you taste like your eating what is basically curdled milk.

Then grab your chicken strips and dunk them in the buttermilk, make sure there covered good and proper, then transfer out into the flour and fully coat. Then just repeat this step and lay them out on a baking sheet.

Fry in a big pan with at least half full of oil and fry away! You're looking for the golden brown texture. ***TOP TIP*** when deep frying any type of meat or fish, slowly lower the meat into the oil and slowly pull its from one side of the pan to the other doing this until you get to just below your fingertips. This stops your meat from sinking to the bottom of the pan and sticking!

So there you have it! My productive day!

If there is any recipes any one wants to see me cover feel free to leave a comment with your ideas!

Much love!
Ttfn (ta ta for now)
Dee 😘 x

No comments:

Post a Comment